In time, an opener’s chain can loosen and thus make a weird clunking sound. But an unpleasant sound isn’t the only problem. If the chain is loose, the load on the opener increases, creating the risk of the garage door jumping off the track. That’s why tightening a loose opener chain is very important.
Here’s how to level the garage door chain:
- Close the garage door and cut the power to the opener. Disconnect the garage door from the opener.
- Locate the bolt on the trolley assembly. There are two nuts on the threaded fastener. One is the locking nut, and the other is the adjustment nut.
- First, loosen the locking nut slightly. After that, tighten the adjustment nut. This will increase the tension of the chain. Remember not to tighten this nut too much. Otherwise, the chain rollers will wear out quickly due to high tension.
- Now tighten the locking nut.
- Reconnect the opener to the garage door and connect it back to power.
Open and close the garage door several times to make sure the problem is resolved. If the chain is clunking, you need to tighten the screw a little more.
Garage Door Service