To use the Genie garage door opener, you first need to connect it to the remote control. Typically, the original remote controller comes with garage door hardware. You can also connect the Genie opener to a universal controller from garage door hardware of a different brand.
Program the Genie garage door opener in 12 steps:
- Prepare a ladder and wear comfortable shoes. You will need to climb up to reach the opener.
- Check the model and brand numbers of the controller and your garage door opener. They must be identical; otherwise, you will have difficulty programming them to function effectively.
- Find the buttons on the Genie garage door opener. On the control panel, there’s a square “Learn” or “Set” button next to the LED. You can also find two triangular buttons with arrows printed next to them.
- Carefully climb up the ladder and look at the garage door opener. Connect power and insert batteries if necessary.
- Hold the square “Learn mode” button for 3 to 10 seconds until the indicator light turns blue.
- When you release the square button, the blue light will turn off. The other light next to it will turn on and blink purple.
- On your remote controller, press the desired button and immediately release it. After you have pressed the button on the controller, the purple light should stop blinking and glow stably.
- Quickly press the same button again. The purple indicator light and the small LED should turn blue and then go dark.
- You have 30 seconds to complete each step. If any of the indicators turn red, it means you have taken too long, and now you have to do it all over again.
- Test the new settings several times. Try to open and close the garage door while standing in different spots.
- For the Genie garage door opener, press and hold the square button on the control box for 3 to 10 seconds until the indicator light turns blue. Press the “Program” button on the keypad when the light starts flashing purple. Now type the standard Genie 357 opener code on the keypad.
- Press the arrow buttons to see if the garage door moves up and down. Repeat these steps to set your opener code.
Garage Door Service